Sunday, February 7, 2010

What would you do if someone at work was spreading false rumors that you were gay?

I'm not gay, but there's this guy at work telling everyone that I am. Can I sue him?What would you do if someone at work was spreading false rumors that you were gay?
The ultimate insult: totally ignore the guy. Live your life. Do your job. Pretend you don't know there are rumors going around. Appear to be so busy with your own life and work that you are oblivious to what silly gossip is floating about.





In other words, obviously someone wants to hurt you or make you feel SOMETHING negative.


Don't give that person the satisfaction of knowing his actions made YOU jump. Those who know you, will know it's a lie.Those who don't know you, won't care. And those who have a brain in their head will think to ask you about it -rather than go by hearsay - if they think they need to know.What would you do if someone at work was spreading false rumors that you were gay?
Your suit is called defamation of character. Now the elements that you must fulfill to be considered for a prima facie case are as follows:


1. A false and defamatory statement concerning another;


2. The unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party (that is, somebody other than the person defamed by the statement);


3. If the defamatory matter is of public concern, fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher; and


4. Damage to the plaintiff.





Now, seeing as the act that he is performing fulfills both elements 1 and 4, but, noting from your facts, you do not fulfill element 3 and possibly element 2, you probably do not have a case. Remember the maxim: ';words alone cannot be punished.';
Here's the best way to handle a rumor: when people ask you are you gay, you say yes, you are having it on with: Name every male in the office, the president, favorite football player, whatever male politician has been in the news where you live. (bonus points if you live in Barney Franks district), and laugh.





Next: you go to the guy privately, and ask him what is his deal. He most likely is jealous of you for some reason that makes sense only to him. He will not be able to own up to it, but he will not like being confronted. That should be an end to it. If it doesn't, get HR involved.
Count your lucky stars I saw your question. I am gay and even though the rumors one of my coworkers was spreading around my work about me were a bit true, I was still able to sue him and the company. I would get in touch quickly with a lawyer and get some quick free advice. My suggestion is go for a lawyer who offers initial free consultation and who is hungry for cases. What is happening to you is sexual harrassment and defamation of the sort.
Depends on where I worked. I worked at one company where it wasn't a big deal, so I'd probably just deny it to people who knew me. I was also in the military and rumors like that can get a soldier in trouble. In that case I'd definitely report the lie to my NCO.
You need to first go to your boss. If nothing happens there, go to human resources and have this person counseled. Obviously this person see's being gay as a slam to you. It doesn't matter whether you are gay or straight, this person is slamming you. It needs to stop.
Depends on where you live. In California, especially working for the State you can file a grievance on them for harassment, if it continues they will take action on your behalf.
I'd punch him in the face really hard and do lots of damage, but I'd make sure that nobody and no camera would witness the act and it would be done off of work grounds when you can go home and heal your hand before anybody starts asking any questions.
Just ignore him and go on about your business. If you do not give him the attention he seeks he will quit. If he continues and makes your job enviroment hostile then report him to HR or your boss.
File a sexual harassment charge with the EEOC.





http://www.eeoc.gov/types/sexual_harassm鈥?/a>
That's sexual harrassment. Tell your boss. He will probably get written up or at least warned.
Nothing. The truth always comes out in the end.
Just ignore him. Im straight I dont get offended if someone calls me gay.
i'd ignore it, i'm not all that insecure about my sexuality or what others think!
First instinct is always correct..
don't let it but u...u can press charges but its not worth it...just ignore him..
  • hair straightening
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment