Monday, February 8, 2010

Can I use religious ideas I believe are false in a work of fiction?

Can I do this without compromising myself and my personal religious beliefs (Pagan)?


To clarify, I'm talking about inserting vampires into religion.


I don't care for bible verses please, as I believe that to be a work of fiction in itself, but that鈥檚 not the issue here, just no bible quotes please. (Thanks for your magnanimity in not taking offence at this!)Can I use religious ideas I believe are false in a work of fiction?
You wouldn't be the first. Look what happened to L. Ron Hubbard. He took a novel he couldn't publish and turned it into a religion. I'm sure turnabout is fair play.Can I use religious ideas I believe are false in a work of fiction?
Believe it or not, there are actually Christians who believe in the existance of Vampires based on the Nephthelim theories.


If I were you, I'd include a solid disclaimer in the front of the work, and be sure you've got a good back story so the plot doesn't fall apart to scrutiny.
You can uses anything you want in a work of fiction.


If the verses are used incorrectly it will make your fiction of very poor quality.





If they are taken out of context it destroys the validityy of what you are say.





And ultimately you can do whatever you want but will it be trash or a good read?
Srsly? Vampires? Dude, they are SO over-done. Why not make up a new mythology instead of using that same old stuff? You could give them a culture and history all their own.





But to answer your question... yes, you can do that without compromising your principles. That's why we call it ';fiction'; -- because it's not reality.
Go for it! It's a work of fiction. One of my favorite short stories had a character who was a Deacon in the catholic church who also happened to be a werewolf. (It was better than it sounds, lol!)
I personally do not believe that using a work of religion in a fictional story is compromising your beliefs as long as you do not PROMOTE the false religion.





Blessings!!
Well, yes, of course. That's why it's called FICTION. Come on, a story is a story. Tolkien never actually believed in Hobbits and Ents you know. Or that the ultimate evil in the world was called Sauron.
that guy that did davinci code did it, and many writers of scifi write in their personal religious beliefs all the time.. oh yeah that guy who wrote golden compass.
of course...


it's a work of fiction, you don't have to believe that it's true. I'm sure Bram stoker didn't believe in vampires
No. You are presenting a work of fiction based on true beliefs. It would be a story about how other people think.


People who write murder mysteries are not murderers.


Same thing
It shouldn't be a problem.





C.S. Lewis did, so did J.K. Rowling, and Tolkien. Go for it.
Certainly!


People always write about things that are contrary to what they believe and what their morals are.
Yes.Because if you dont believe then it must be FICTION.
of course you can, its fiction, you can use anything you like.
You said it's 'fiction', - you can use anything you want.
I don't see why not...

No comments:

Post a Comment