Monday, February 8, 2010

Is Freedom a false concept? I'm not rich. I still have to work a lot just to get by. Are some people not free?

I still have to go to work, and I'm not getting all that rich at it. I can't just get up and leave one day. So am I really free? Is anyone other than the rich really free?Is Freedom a false concept? I'm not rich. I still have to work a lot just to get by. Are some people not free?
One always has the freedom to choose to act or choose not to act. You choose not to act to find a job you find more rewarding. Wealth simply provides more options it doesn't provide more freedom.Is Freedom a false concept? I'm not rich. I still have to work a lot just to get by. Are some people not free?
You are still free to leave. You might be broke or whatever, but no one is holding a gun to your head. You choose to stay, because you are afraid to risk being poor %26amp; homeless, or whatever, but let's say you had a brilliant idea for a new product or service. You would be free to start your own business or to sell the idea, or whatever you wanted.
I assure you, even rich people are not free to do absolutely whatever they want whenever they want to.





And, yes, you CAN just get up and leave one day. Unless you are incarcerated, you have that freedom. That doesn't mean that you wouldn't suffer guilt (for leaving your family high and dry) or other repercussions (warrants sworn out against you by your landlord for rent unpaid and other creditors), but you DO have that freedom.
The way I see it, if you have to answer to anyone other than God, you are not free. The bible says God is no respecter of persons, meaning, in His eyes, the king and the trash collector are equal. If we are not treated as equals that means we've allowed ourselves to become the subjects of others, either through our own greed or stupidity. I'm guessing it's a little of both.
No, I have been free from my sins since 1970, that is the greater riches anyone can have, as far as working, the bible teaches us to work, I have put in my working yrs, %26amp; now I am retired, after 38 yrs, with the same employer. But I started working for my uncle on his farm when i was about 9 or 10, Hey I would make $1.25 a week working back in the 1950's %26amp; many days I worked from sun up to sun set. %26amp; guess what it did not kill me. I starting working in factories when I was 16, %26amp; I started with my last employer in 1968 %26amp; retired due to a spinal injury that has made it hard for me to walk a long distance, They offered the senior employees early retirement with full benefits %26amp; now I am disable. BTW I will be 60 soon.
You are not a slave are you? Except to your own selfish desires. Freedom is not about being free to waste our lives it is about being free to think for ourselves, free to come and go, free to speak out about our government, free to speak about our faith whatever it is. Free to make our own choices, about going to college or buying a car or home, what job we want. Free to dress the way we want, to marry or not ( with in the law 0f the land.) Your free to have children as many as you can afford of either sex. Freedom does have responsibilities that come with it, we can not abuse our freedoms, or take them for granted. There are people all over the world that have no choice about what work they do or when they do it and these people only earn pennies a day they don't even make enough to provide for their families for food or shelter. Trust me you are rich compared to these places in the world so put your big boy pats on and get over yourself.
the whole ideal is flawed and the constitution was not written well enough seeing as how these newer technologies could never have been concieved back then. So no, freedom doesn't TRULY exist, unless you count the obvious freesoms in the bill of rights which are still always being picked away at.
God said in Genesis that our curse was that we would have to work in order to eat for the rest of our lives until we die.


Strangely, though, He created humans to ';crave'; work of some kind. Even those who were born to rich parents and never had to work a day in their lives are some of the sorriest, unhappiest people you've ever seen. They have nothing with which to fill up their lives, so they fill it up with drug and alcohol use and whoremongering. You read about their activities in the paper and on TV all the time.





Another point that most people don't realize is, slavery never really went away. We are all still slaves. We most of us are deeply in debt; we work to pay those people off. We work for food and a roof over our heads. We have to obey those who hold power over us. Slaves 150 years ago got free housing and food, and they still worked. They also had to obey those who held power over them. How are we today any different from them? I think ';freedom'; in this country is an illusion. Can you do or say anything you want, even if it's constitutionally legal? No. Can you live anywhere you want? No. Can you choose where or how you would like to be treated for a disease (if you choose at all)? No.


Another evidence that we are all slaves - for those of you fortunate enough to ';own'; your own home or property, take a look at your title. You are called ';tenant';. Why would you be called the ';tenant'; (as if you were renting) if you own the land/house? Because by law, slaves cannot own property. You are a slave! You are only being given the ';privelege'; of living on that land or house, but it can be taken from you if the government sees fit.
You are trapped by your own delusion of what constitutes 'freedom'.





Freedom has nothing to do with money or being rich, freedom is what you achieve by stepping outside the box.





Unfortunately you are not only trapped inside the box, you have become one with the box.





I am an EGG!!! And NO, I don't live in a box.. it's called a carton!
In what way are you meaning this question? You post it in Religion and spirituality but you ask it like it is a society question or work related which isn't really religion. You don't HAVE to go to work. Some people don't go to work. You can get up and leave if you want to. You have that choice. It is available to you and you won't break any laws to do it, in usual circumstances. I picked up a hitchhiker the other day that was laid off from his job so he has been hitch hiking around the country. Literally! He was from one end and he had been all the way to the other end and now kinda heading back in that direction. He is free. So are YOU.


There are consequences to our choices, but we do have the choice.
True freedom comes when you are in bondage to Christ.








Right now you have chosen money as your god. You work for it. You think about it all the time. You are it's slave. No matter how much money you have it will never be enough. It owns you.





You cannot serve two masters. You will love one and hate the other.
I don't associate freedom with not doing anything ever. Freedom requires great responsible or it simply won't work. It's like I tell my kids, if you want more freedom show me you're responsible.





Yes, you're free. You have the freedom to work and eat





or starve and not work.
They don麓t call it ';life'; for nothing.





I think Paris Hilton is free in that respect, but she does not seem happier for it.





Freedom is a state of mind. Freedom can be in prison.





';Stone walls do not a prison make,


Nor iron bars a cage;


Minds innocent and quiet take


That for an hermitage;





If I have freedom in my love,


And in my soul am free,


Angels alone that soar above


Enjoy such liberty.';





Some people don麓t feel fully free until they are literally in chains.





';True freedom comes when you are in bondage to Christ.';





See? I told you so. I bet she likes it too when he spanks her with those hard carpenter麓s hands... ';OOoh, please Master Jesus, can I have some more!';








Others never feel free because they are trapped being themselves.





I suppose that might be one reason I take on so many different identities.
I think freedom in America is a state of mind. Our country does offer it (thank God). I think the freedom you're referring to is just that! Remember our goal; not making money but to be happy. You accomplish that and you are a winner! How? Damned if I know but I can say this: travel in CA, SA %26amp; Europe a couple of times and maybe it will come to you! But I wish you the very, very best of luck and from what I think, I envy your journey!
Being a slave to God, and therefore the entire universe including fellow humans, jobs, government, society etc.... is the only true freedom
Yes, in a way it is a false concept. Ironically, I believe that those who are poorest, or ascetic, are the most free. Rich people aren't free at all. That's simply an illusion.
It depends on the way you look at it. I suppose if you really want to you could walk out to the woods somewhere and live off the fat of the land.
Everyone is free. You are free to not go to work however you choose not to accept the consequences. I guess some choices are so obvious that you feel they are made for you.





But I do see what you're saying.
the slave were not freed out of compassion it was noted that it would be profitable if they actually provided their own food accomadation and clothing
Freedom begins and ends with your ability to finance said freedom.
Freedom is not about being rich. it's about being able to make choices in your life. if you're a US citizen, i suggest you read the Bill of Rights.





jpb
You have the option of developing skills others will pay you more for. Or you can start your own company and make higher profits. YOU are limiting yourself. not God or others.
No one is ever really free. Something always will be after you. The rich have to worry about the government and lower classes trying to take their money.
No one is truly free.





there are tons of people who are not free, the clothing on your back was probably made by someone in china working in a sweat shop for 10 cents an hour just to feed her kids
You're *relatively* free to make your own choices in life.
yes, it is a false concept.
I was just watching the Amazing Atheist rant about freedom, then realized that his concept is flawed.





Freedom doesn't really make sense.





For example, some Americans think that they should be ';free'; to own a gun. Personally, I think I should be ';free'; to live in a society where gun ownership is illegal.





Maybe someone wants to be ';free'; to rape people. What about people who want to be ';free'; of sexual abuse?





It seems that freedom doesn't really make sense. There isn't really a definition that works.





And besides, we're all a product of our genes and personal histories, so any decision we make isn't even ';free'; anyway, no matter how much we think it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment