Sunday, February 7, 2010

Agreed to split money based on a false testimony.?

My grandmother passed, and my dad is the executor of the estate only. He told me that she gave me everything in terms of mutual funds and annuities, and him only 40 percent of the house. I felt sorry for him and offered him 40 percent of the stocks, but only from me to him, not turning them over to him. In fact, Ameriprise would only issue the money to who was named beneficiary. He asked me in the attorneys office about signing a legal agreement, and I said I would do nothing legally, only verbally, because I didn't know all the details and I would want a personal attorney present to sign agreements. I then learned that he was getting some of the bonds and stocks, just not enough to satisfy him. He's jealous that I'm getting more, and the checks are in the mail. He said that I agreed to split the stocks and bonds money with him in front of the attorney, and that he would sue me if I didn't honor the agreement. He lied to me about what he was getting, plus I didn't sign an agreement.Agreed to split money based on a false testimony.?
Tell him to get bent and let him sue. Greedy bastard will never spend the money.Agreed to split money based on a false testimony.?
Since you could not figure out how to create a question, I will give you this answer: Hire a lawyer.
Get an attorney to represent YOUR interests.





Meantime, if you have something he wants, he can easily buy it from you. Sotcks and bonds are very liquid assets.
Verbal contracts are only valid for amounts of money less than $500. Also, for a contract to be valid, both parties must be giving something. It doesn't sound like your father was, so legally, this agreement was not a valid contract.





However, It sounds to me like your dad %26amp; you have deeper issues to work out. $ is not nearly as important as family %26amp; both of you need to realize that.
Don't worry about it.





First of all, your verbal statement, whatever it may have been, was based on false statements of the distribution made by him. Had you signed an agreement based on them, the agreement would have been void.





Second, any agreement you reached is not a contract, nor even a settlement since there doesn't appear to have been any dispute. As such, it is unenforceable if not in writing.





He isn't likely to sue you, as most attorneys would recognize what a loser case this would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment