Monday, February 8, 2010

I am 34 and have a lot of dental problems. Would it be best to just get false teeth. I need over 12k in work?

I just got dental insurance recently however I need 12k in work due to not being able to afford the dentist prior to my insurance coverage. I know its best to keep your teeth, however I have broken teeth, missing teeth.I am 34 and have a lot of dental problems. Would it be best to just get false teeth. I need over 12k in work?
Ponyboy and Dr. Sam are right on. Let me tell you a story. I remember doing dentures on a young man (I believe he was 22 or so) and he was in the same situation as you. He had neglected his teeth for a few years and the work he needed was even far less than what yours is. He decided that he was never going to take good care of his teeth, so he elected to have them all removed and dentures placed. We tried to talk him out of it but he would have none of it. So, we did what he asked. Months after it was all said and done and he had healed, I asked him how he was doing. He said he hated not having his real teeth. He had lost probably 20 pounds or more because he couldn't eat and he just wasn't happy. I think of that guy every time I hear someone say that want to get dentures.


You don't need to get all $12,000 of work done at once. So, it may take a few years. Your dentist will put out the ';big fires'; first and then move on to smaller stuff. Have another consultation with him and explain your concerns. See if there is other options for these teeth. Your dentist will work hard to help you save them. I hope this answers your question. Good luckI am 34 and have a lot of dental problems. Would it be best to just get false teeth. I need over 12k in work?
If your teeth are not decayed take your time you cannot fix all the problems with your teeth at once. Try to do as much as your dental insurance will pay for. Also see if you can get some of the work done at a dental school they usually do some work for free. Since they use you well for lack of a better word practice.


Good Luck with whatever you decide :)
i am in the same boat
I agree with ponyboy. Dentures are better than chewing on your gums, but only about 20% as good as real teeth. Starting dentures at your age means you will have many, many years of dealing with all the headaches of false teeth.





Hey, some people do it and they say it's just fine, but if you asked them in private, I'll bet most wish they had their own teeth again.





I have not seen your $12,000 treatment plan, but maybe there is a Plan B. Maybe there are 2 or three teeth that might be removed instead of fixed (with root canal, post and crown for $2-2,500 each) that could bring your costs down considerably.





Sometimes it is possible to do an extensive case in phases. It's not ALWAYS possible, but if it is, you can spread the budget out to maximize your insurance benefit over a few years and it won't hurt you as bad financially.





Just some thoughts... I'd hate to see someone so young end up with dentures.
Avoid dentures at all costs--they are a good replacement for nothing. Any teeth you can keep wiil serve you better in the long run. Talk to your dentist about phasing your treatment to help utilize your yearly max in benefits. Please don't fall prey to the idea that dentures are wonderful-while they can work well, they are false teeth.
Go to a dentist and INSIST you get dentures. The dentist like to keep people as a returning customer....once the dentures go in, they have to find someone else to make their boat payments.





If that dentist won't do it, keep looking until you find someone who will. Ask people who have dentures...but first compliment them on theirs, then explain why. They will most likely give you a referral.
It depends on if you can afford this. If you can, then by all means, save your teeth!! You are too young to be without your teeth. Good Luck!
Been there and still going through it. My dentist talked me out of the false teeth and I'm glad. False teeth look fake, almost to perfect. I don't know of anyone who has them that likes them.


Just taking my time getting it all done.

No comments:

Post a Comment